Over the last 50 years, journal-conducted peer review has become the foundation of how scientific work is evaluated and validated. With an interest in fairness and transparency, mounting concerns about rigor and reproducibility, and opportunities provided by the internet, we feel that the time is ripe to discuss how peer review might be advanced.
Therefore, ASAPbio, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), and Wellcome are pleased to announce a workshop on “Transparency, Recognition, and Innovation in Peer Review in the Life Sciences” to be held at HHMI headquarters in Chevy Chase, Maryland, February 7-9, 2018.
Due to limited space on-site, in-person participation is by invitation only, but all members of the community can join us virtually on February 7 and February 8, 2018.
To engender broad and open discussion and engage the worldwide scientific community, the keynote lectures, plenary talks, and breakout session reports are open via live video streaming on this page.
We look forward to a conversation that engages diverse stakeholders, perspectives, and opinions.
Join the conversation:
- On Twitter: Use the hashtag #bioPeerReview and follow @HHMINEWS, @ASAPbio_, and @WellcomeOpenRes
- On Facebook: @HowardHughesMed
- Read and respond to commentary from participants and organizers here.
- Email questions during the live webcast (see link at the top of this page).
Webcast agenda (all times are ET and are subject to change prior to the event)
February 7, 2018
- 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm Opening Remarks and Meeting Objectives
- 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm Keynote Lectures
- 8:30 pm – 9:00 pm Q & A with Keynote Speakers
February 8, 2018
- 8:30 am – 9:30 am Plenary talks: Transparency and Recognition in Peer Review
- 9:30 am – 11:00 am Web break [in-person attendees will be in breakout sessions]
- 11:00 am – 12:30 pm Reports from breakout sessions and discussion
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Break [lunch]
- 1:30 pm – 2:15 pm Open discussion on morning session
- 2:15 pm – 3:15 pm Plenary talks: Innovation in Peer Review
- 3:15 pm – 5:00 pm Web break [in-person attendees will be in breakout sessions]
- 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm Reports from breakout sessions and discussion
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm Break [dinner]
- 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm Open discussion on afternoon session